Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Calzone Episode

If I am not in the mood to sew at night after the kids are out, I will succumb to t.v. watching. We have about 26 channels total, so my options are usually limited. Most of the time I end up watching Seinfeld reruns, which are still very entertaining.
Two nights ago they ran "The Calzone" episode, which happens to be on of my favorites, up there with "The Chicken Roaster" and "The Betrayal". I found myself craving calzones like crazy at 12AM, and debated on whether or not I should make the 45 minute drive to the city. I returned to reality, and opted to make them the following night for dinner. While the calzones sought after in the show were of the eggplant variety, I took a more meaty approach. For the crust I made my normal whole wheat pizza dough, and while that was rising I sauteed onion, red bell pepper, garlic, genoa salami, and pepperoni in olive oil, and then let it simmer in a some marina sauce for the filling. Add to that some mozzarella cheese, a nice coat of olive oil, and about 15 minutes in a 500 degree oven, and you have one of the best things I have made in my life. Ever.
On a non-calzone related note, while watching Seinfeld I noticed that many of the style choices that Elaine used to rock are now back and totally trendy. I was curious if anyone else noticed, and after googling 'seinfeld elaine' I found this fun little article.

No comments: