Monday, November 16, 2009

thank you, always, mr. billy gadek

"Just as no worthy building can be erected on a weak foundation, so no lasting reputation worthy of respect can be built on a weak character.”

R. C. Samsel
This is a quilt I made about a year ago, and while it may be simple in design, it means a great deal to me. When my father in law Billy came home from the hospital after a summer full of surgeries and chemotherapy treatments, I wanted to make him something that would be a reminder of our support and love for him.
Close to almost every time I have visited him in this past year, his quilt has been there next to him, keeping him warm. It was so gratifying to know that he enjoyed it, as I can not stress enough how much I respect and love him. His magnetic personality, deadpan humor, and real life wisdom made him a wonderful person to be around, and all of his accomplishments made him a person to admire. His self sacrifice and determination inspire Danny and me to be better people and live happier lives. I feel so honored to have known him and am grateful for the memories of him that I will cherish.
I will miss him, as so many people will, but I feel relief that he has found the peace that he sought. I am glad that with this quilt I could provide for him a little warmth in exchange for all of the wonderful ways he has affected my life.

1 comment:

Just Ma said...

Beautiful quilt, beautiful tribute.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Love, Ma