Thursday, March 26, 2009

dear weather, please stop being cold soon

since we moved to our strawberry hill apartment we have spent a lot of time imagining all of the possibilities a nice sized yard has to offer. i have been scouting out the best part of the lawn to install a little garden and danny is preparing to build a raised bed for me this week.

after reading this article about other brave individuals trying to cultivate a little land, i found this website and have been thoroughly inspired to grow a little garden full of some veggies, and of course, strawberries. 
so to keep my ma posted about my adventures (and more than likely many, many mishaps) in gardening, i am looking forward to sharing and would appreciate any helpful advice!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lindsay,
Have Danny make a separate raised garden for the strawberries. They will take over the entire garden. We learned that the hard way. You will also have to put some wire netting over them because the birds love them as much as the kids. I can give you some ideas too. Our neighbors built a great netting to go over their berry bushes that has lasted several years now. Talk to you soon.
Love you.
Aunt Linda

Allie said...

I have to try this - thank you for that site! I've never gardened in my life, and have a horrific bug phobia, but I also have teen boys to do the dirty work, lol. I'm going to try it!

Just Ma said...

This picture reminds me of a wonderful Aunt and Uncle (Annie and Ed) and their gardening with only shovels to turn the ground over and hoes to weed around each plant. So tedious but such wonderful vegetables fruits and fun. Forget the wire netting---I will come with my faithful Daisy and keep the birds at bay. (Just kidding---Linda is rights---the birds and kids love the berries.
Love,
Ma