Friday, July 25, 2014

kcw: Stash Control & the Sea Change Dress







Ever walk into your sewing space and wonder "how did I become a hoarder?". I did a major purge at the beginning of this summer, and along with it I made a pile of all the acquired and thrifted goods that needed to be given a second chance. The first to be transformed: a skirt that a friend handed down to me- the gorgeous deep jade color and lovely embroidered pattern at the bottom were too good to be left waiting any longer. It was a piece that she was ditching after losing a significant amount of weight, a feat which I am so proud of her for, and it offered up a fair amount of fabric to play with. After some minor agonizing over what to do with it, I used the oldest trick in the book and made it into a summery dress for Phia. I kept the embroidery at the hem in tact and graded it so that it would be a more manageable amount of fabric for a shirred bodice, and I love the ultra fluttery and and ripply result. The straps came from some fabric taken out of the dress when I took out the zipper and I am kind of loving the embroidered pattern at their ends. I have aspirations to knock out the rest of the pile and hope they are as gratifying as this little frock. 

6 comments:

kristin said...

perfect use of the skirt!! i love how full and twirly it is, bet it'll become a favorite this summer. been wanting to make a dress like this for Em myself. gorgeous color, too.

kristi said...

Very cool refashioning. I love the long length on a little girl.

Erin said...

Phia is such a stunner! Love the dress- I'm such a fan of good upcycles...gorgeous!

Melissa said...

Really beautiful!

Just Ma said...

Beautiful dress. Keep coming w/more repurposing ideas. Excellent model!
Love, Ma

rsgoldfast said...

Jesse ended up being a great, vibrant, nurturing and also warm kid. All of us consider ourself lucky to have had

him within our life, and therefore are comforted if you know he could be currently shared within the biceps of our own Master.

RS 2007 Gold

Buy RS 2007 Gold