Monday, March 29, 2010

Rainy Day Refashioning

After altering a few dress shirts and feeling quite happy with the results, I started a collection of shirts picked up at estate sales and thrift stores, with big dreams of someday refashioning them into dresses for Phia.

But then I saw this little number on freepeople.com and while I absolutely love it, I doubt I could ever rationalize purchasing it.
After finding inspiration from some very impressive dress shirt projects, I decided to keep it simple and basically just resized it to be similar to the aforementioned top. I subtly pleated the waist and took it in substantially, but ended up making it a little longer than normal shirt length since I am pretty short, and long tunics tend to make me look even shorter. Along with a $15 belt I picked up from Target, I think it turned out to be a very wearable spring top.
And now I have a new found respect for all of my favorite daily fashion bloggers, as it was incredibly awkward trying to take a descent picture of myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hah what are you going to pull out of your sleeve next, linds?! that is stinkin' adorable! if you like fashion bloggers check this one out: http://popcultureafternoon.blogspot.com/ aw...i wish you lived closer to me! maybe this summer will initiate a little magic! love you all...didn't forget about your package. :) sending hugs, kisses and mountain vibes...

love,
jess

Just Ma said...

Luv it, luv the idea, luv the gal in the last pic with the repurposed/redesigned shirt---great idea!
Love, Ma